There are many people who want to succeed in spirituality all by own-self. Undoubtedly, we have to put the effort, if we want to succeed. But wise person also keeps an eye on the effort and the results. Why make such deal about religion or spirituality ? Look at other examples from our lives. Typically all professional fields have mentors. Legal, medical, financial, skilled-trades, to name a few. The central idea is to succeed with no wasted effort. So we encourage people to get a Spiritual Mentor. This person is someone in your own faith, who is a bit advanced compared to you. Make a healthy relationship with him/her and make sure he/she commits to looking out for you. This will make your journey very fruitful. Don’t try to do it all by your own self ! Beside egotism it also reflects immaturity, if you choose this way.
Few pointers to make sure that you find a high quality Mentor:
1. The person should be more knowledgible about your spiritual/religious knowledge, tools and the pot-holes.
2. He/she should never use physical, mental or emotional force on you.
3. He/she should never ask you to do anything illegal, immoral.
4. Person should be fair-minded, objective and progressive
5. He/She should be able to guide you inspite of your short-comings or individual creattive differences.
6. Should be someone mature and open-minded
7. If you are uncomfortable with one person, politely thank him/her and look for a better one.
8. Remember: a Mentor is not the same as a Coach,Teacher, Master/Guru or Preceptor. Each serves a different role in your journey.